Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Best Costume Award


DSC_0043.JPG
Originally uploaded by conaclark

Trick-or-Treat was awesome this year. As you can see, the monkey was a pile of leaves. Not to brag or anything, but she was a TOTALY hit. People we didn't know were taking pictures of our baby, a little freaky I know. And she totally scored when it came to the candy because people were just in love with her. She played it cool and didn't seem to care what all the fuss was about and kept her eye on the prize - Chocolate! More pictures of the PILE OF LEAVES COSTUME here.


So, now about the costume. I started thinking about what I could make the girl this year and had originally bought a pattern to make her a cute alien costume. When this didn't work out I went back to the drawing board. Wifey and I love fraggle rock and thought it would be awesome to make her Marjory the trash heap (photo to the left). However, we feared very few people would get it and think our baby was just gross. From this (and many google searches)came the idea of a pile of leaves.

MAKING THE COSTUME: I have to admit, I thought it would be a lot easier and cheaper to make than what it actually turned out to be. It was terribly hard - it was just quite time consuming. Not to mention silk leaves are not nearly as cheap as I thought they would be.

MATERIALS:

brown cotton sweat suit, needle & thread, lots of silk leaves, skull cap

HOW TO: ok, try to keep up - this can get tricky...

Thread needle and start sewing on leaves. Cover completely. The end. Seriously it's just that easy! The hard part is fining the time to do it. I would allow for 1 week to complete the costume. What's nice is you can do it for a couple hours every night while watching t.v., giving the kids a bath, or just lounging on the couch. All in all the costume cost me about $30. It's not too bad if you consider this is the same price as the cute costumes from old navy only no one else on the block will have one.

Now I have to think about hwat can top this one next year...



No comments: